This particular chair is number four in a set that originally belonged to John Aspinwall.1For references to Aspinwall, see Henry D. Waller, History of the Town of Flushing (Flushing, N. Y.: J. H. Ridenour, 1899), 108–11, and Harriet D. Lawson, Olde Flushing (Flushing, N. Y.: Dondero Lawson, 1952), 120–25. A self-made man, Aspinwall went to sea, worked his way to the command of a ship trading with the West Indies, and then became associated with Gerard G. Beekman. Aspinwall soon went into partnership with his son-in-law, Lawrence Kortright, and the two made a fortune privateering during the French and Indian War.2Philip L. White, ed., The Beekman Mercantile Papers (New York: The New-York Historical Society, 1956), 315.
Gilbert Tapley Vincent
Excerpted from Clement E. Conger, et al. Treasures of State: Fine and Decorative Arts in the Diplomatic Reception Rooms of the U.S. Department of State. New York: H.N. Abrams, 1991.